As the tea party movement becomes more untethered from reality, tea-party activists’ choice in candidates becomes more wanting. Case in point, Raul Labrador, a “tea party candidate” who defeated Vaughn Ward yesterday in the Republican primary for Idaho’s first congressional district.
Who is Raul Labrador? He’s a Puerto Rican immigration attorney who, allegedly, has spent a good many years trying to keep illegal aliens in the U.S. He allegedly has:
- fought to keep many illegals from deportation
- been suspected of smuggling illegal aliens and document fraud
- voted against (in the Idaho House) numerous provisions restricting benefits to illegal aliens.
- criticized Arizona’s immigration law
- called for more “guest workers” from the Third World
Congratulations, Tea Party!